High Legh (also known as East Hall)1727

near Lymm, Cheshire, England

Brief Description

High Legh was a landscape park built around two historic halls. These have now been demolished and a modern housing estate built where they stood. The remaining parkland has been converted into a golf course. The outlines of the design by Humphry Repton are still discernible and proposals from Repton's Red Book for the park can still be recognised.

History

The landscape park at High Legh was created at some point between the late-18th and early-19th centuries.George Ormerod's 1819 'History of Cheshire' noted that the site was owned by George Legh, and that the grounds had been laid out under the direction of Humphry Repton.

Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Knutsford
History

Period

  • Late 18th Century
Associated People

People associated to High Legh

References

References