A private garden associated with the house designed in 1882 by R. R. Rowe.
Detailed DescriptionToday the extra strip of garden added by the Keynes family has been reduced by garages and temporary school buildings, but the fruit trees still remain and the acanthus and daylilies by the paths soften the boundary fences. A number of stone fragments were found in the garden which were collected by Mrs. Keynes from the Augustinian Priory at Barnwell.
- House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
Detailed HistoryIn 1882 large semi-detached houses were built along Harvey Road by the Victorian architect R.R. Rowe. These houses became the homes to which newly married dons aspired to bring their wives when they were first allowed to marry. Among the first of these academic wives to reside in 6 Harvey Road was Florence Ada Keynes, wife of John Neville Keynes and mother of John Maynard Keynes.
The rear garden of 6 Harvey Road was extended by the Keynes family who gradually acquired a strip of land which lay between their garden and the rear villa gardens along St. Paul's Road. The Ordnance Survey map of 1888 shows this strip of land extending between other properties with access from No. 6 and had a path with several trees planted along its boundary.
- Associated People