Greystoke Castle has a late-18th to early-19th century landscaped park. It also has gardens and ornamental pleasure grounds. It is now(2007) used as a centre for outdoor activity weekends as well as a conference and wedding venue.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Access contact details
The site of Greystoke Castle has been occupied since 1069.
The house was rebuilt during the 17th century to designs by Anthony Salvin. This was later largely destroyed by fire in 1868 but the family rebuilt the house to the same design.
The house and grounds were commandeered by the army during World War 2 and were used as a tank drivers training area and later as a prisoner of war camp. A lot of damage was done to both the house and grounds and much of the remaining 20th century was spent repairing and restoring.
- Late 18th Century
- 18th Century
- Associated People
- Key Information
Late 18th Century
Open to the public