Green Park, Bath 1526

Bath, England, Bath and North East Somerset

Brief Description

Green Park is a former communal garden, created during town expansion around 1792-96.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal park for general public use.

Detailed Description

Green Park occupies a triangular-shaped site of open grass on the north side of the River Avon. The level of the ground has been built up by tipping, leaving a wide ditch on all sides of the park. Handsome mature trees grow along the edges of the park, and there are some children's play structures in the open central area.

Green Park is maintained by Bath City Council. The grass is cut regularly.

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal park for general public use.

History

Detailed History

The riverside area of Kingsmead was developed after 1790. A triangular-shaped piece of land was left open to lie between two terraces of houses converging on Seymour Street. John Palmer was probably closely concerned with the development of this area. Seymour Street was built from 1792 to 1796, together with about half of each range of the Green Park Buildings. They were completed in the early-19th century.

The whole area has suffered since then, firstly with the construction of a railway station in 1896, and then in German bombing raids in 1942. The eastern range of Green Park Buildings was destroyed then, but the western range has been restored recently. An engraving of Green Park (Images of Bath, see references) dated 1858 shows the buildings situated well above the level of the park, which is plain level grassland.

Period

  • 18th Century
  • Late 18th Century
References

References