Gibraltar House (also known as Apethorn House)6386

Tameside, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

Gibraltar House had a house and grounds lying between the River Tame to the west and Peak Forest Canal to the east. Gibraltar Mill lay to the north and there were fields and woods to the south. The house was to the east of the site. The grounds show few features except an extensive path system. The mill was demolished in the 1960s. The house has also been demolished, though the date this occurred is not known. The site remains open, with tracks roughly corresponding to the drive of the original site.

History

Gibraltar Mill was built by Robert Thorniley in 1791 and extended in 1794. The mill was bought by Thomas Sidebotham around 1800. The house may have been built at this time and appears to have been known as Apethorn House. It was lived in at various times by members of the Sidebotham family.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Now Demolished
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: There are tracks roughly corresponding to the drive of the original site.
History

Period

  • Late 18th Century
  • 18th Century
References

References

Contributors

  • Cheshire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit