Freehills (also known as Freehills and Hoe Moor house)6560

Bursledon, England, Hampshire, Eastleigh

Brief Description

The house, now divided into two, survives, with a few remnants of the garden including the approach drive.

History

19th century hilltop estate with Gothic style house and views to Hamble River. The garden was developed in the late 19th century with pleasure grounds, rhododendrons snd flowering shrubs. After the Second World War the estate was sold off and only the main house, and its approach drive, remains.

Detailed Description

The estate does not now exist. After the war it was divided into 21 lots which were sold separately. The main house was split into two, the West Wing being named Hoe Moor House and the East Wing became Freehills House. They kept their surrounding lawns and gardens but no other lands or buildings. The approach drive still remains, bordered by rhododendrons and laurels, but some modern houses have been built on one side of it.

Features
  • Approach
  • Description: Bordered by rhododendrons and laurels but modern houses built on one side
  • Earliest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Pond
  • Description: Wildlife pond with wetland plants and yellow iris
  • Earliest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Grey Brick Gothic-style
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Detailed History

The estate came into being in 1805 when the grey brick, gothic style house was built. Very little is known about the estate or its owners in its early years. The first printed map to show it was not published until 1855; even then it was not named. The house was built on a hill top with lovely views up the valley of the Hamble River and approached from a winding carriage drive. As well as the garden, shrubbery and lawns there was farming land, a farm and stables. The Kitchen Garden was some way from the house on flatter land.

By the latter years of the nineteenth century when Matthew Blakiston was the owner, the estate was at its peak. It had ornamental woods and plantation, pleasure grounds, beautiful lawns and choice rhododendrons and flowering shrubs around the house. Into the next century the Kitchen Garden was noteworthy; it was believed to be one of the earliest in the district.

In the twentieth century the estate suffered changing fortunes. Between the two World Wars it was sold with reduced acreage as a part of a bigger land sale. Having then recovered its independence with Colonel Fernie as owner it was requisitioned by the Royal Navy in World War 11 to provide Officers’ and Wrens’ quarters for the base at Cricket Camp.

References

Contributors

  • Diana Hill

    1