The Firs, Ashton-Under-Lyne 6437

Tameside, Greater Manchester, England, Greater Manchester

Brief Description

The 1848 map shows a long narrow house set at the junction of Smallshaw Lane Tram Road and Holebottom Pit New Road. The site has a tree belt around three sides, with three ponds and a pleasure garden. The 1895 map shows the site un-named. The house has been much extended to the rear. Only part of the tree belt seems to have survived, and one of the ponds has disappeared. The tram road and the pit road had, by 1895, become ordinary roads and the area was beginning to be built up. The site has been lost, and is now built over.

References

References

Contributors

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit

  • Lancashire Gardens Trust

  • Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit