Farnborough Hill (also known as Farnborough Hill Girls School)1303

Basingstoke, England, Hampshire, Rushmoor

Brief Description

Formal terraces around the house give way to informal wooded walks. At the house entrance an eastward view opened over parkland and the Blackwater Valley. Empress Eugenie added a mausoleum (St Michael's Abbey) and 'winter garden' soon after 1880. The house has been a girls' school since 1927.

History

H.E. Kendall jnr built the house for Sir Thomas Longman, the publisher, in 1863.

Features
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: Formal terraces around the house.
  • Walk
  • Description: Formal terraces around the house give way to informal wooded walks.
  • Mausoleum
  • Description: Empress Eugenie added a mausoleum (St Michael's Abbey) soon after 1880.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: Empress Eugenie added a 'winter garden' soon after 1880.
  • Earliest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: H.E. Kendall jnr built the house for Sir Thomas Longman, the publisher, in 1863. The house has been a girls' school since 1927.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Associated People

Just one person associated to Farnborough Hill

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Farnborough Hill Girls School

    Farnborough, GU14 8AT