This is a municipal cemetery open in March 1866. The site has since been extended to 18 hectares.
The DGT record states that the original part of the cemetery dates from 1855, whilst the Exeter City Council website dates the site from 1866.
Visitor FacilitiesThis is a municipal cemetery for general public use. Please see: http://www.exeter.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=727 More information
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThis is a municipal cemetery for general public use. Please see: http://www.exeter.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=727
The original section of 1855 and perhaps the first extension merit designation. The area to the east is of little interest.
Veitch's were employed to landscape the site, initially 4.5 acres were alloted to the Church of England and 1.5 to non-conformists. Each portion had its own chapel, designed by local architect Edward Ashworth, who also planned the lodge and gates. A large granite cross by Harry Hems of Exeter commemorated the 160 people who died in the Exeter Theatre fire of 1887.
- Mid 19th Century