Eastwood Manor 1210

Bristol, England

Brief Description

Eastwood Manor is a late-19th-century garden and small park.

History

The house was built in 1874 for Charles Adam Kemble.

Detailed Description

The main features of the garden, such as the terraces, flower beds, trees and shrubbery are still maintained at a basic level. What may have been parkland has been used as paddocks for horses and the grass is coarse. There are the remains of specimen trees. There are also poorly maintained wooden stables on the south side.

The entrance is through a gate of modern iron work flanked by Victorian pillars and two old oak trees. The trees grow out of raised walled beds on either side. The drive runs through a short avenue of limes to the front of the house, which is a compact square Victorian Gothic building with rambling outbuildings. Directly in front of the house is a pond, which is rubber-lined with a stone surround. A small lawn is flanked by a shrubbery and tall trees, including rhododendron, wellingtonia and pollarded cherry.

On the west side, French windows lead from the house down stone steps to a terraced croquet lawn. A wide gravel path runs along the top terrace, with more steps leading to the terraces to the north. There are two yews at each end of the lower terrace. A stone balustrade runs between the lawn and the parkland. The lower part of the garden is planted with rose beds and similar. There is also a shrubbery containing cherries, laburnum and laurel. A yew hedge marks the bottom of the formal garden.

The perimeter of the grounds is marked by bits of hedge and large oak, ash and beech trees. Alongside the road is a holly hedge and the remains of a wall. A shrubbery walk runs from the entrance around the front of the house.

The stable building, now a dwelling, is separated from the Manor house by a wooden slatted fence, as are the greenhouses which are now derelict. All that remains of the kitchen garden is one wall. This area is now a paddock.

Features
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Description: The house was built in Victorian Gothic style for Charles Adam Kemble. It appears to have had a tower originally.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: Avenue of limes, perhaps planted when the house was built.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Description: Terraces to the west and north.
  • Walk
  • Description: Shrubbery walk, running through rhododendrons and old trees.
  • Planting
  • Description: This is the parkland, having the remains of specimen trees and a view of the Chew valley.
  • Balustrade
  • Description: This is the stone balustrade at the north end of the terraced lawn.
Access & Directions

Directions

The house is south-east of the A368 at West Harptree.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • East Harptree
History

Detailed History

Eastwood ‘Manor' was built in 1874 for Charles Adam Kemble, son of the Reverend Reb Kemble of Bath. An engraving of the house, new in 1876, shows it surrounded by formal gardens: lawns, flower beds and gravel paths.
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here
References

References

  • Kelly, E. {Somersetshire} (1875)Somersetshire
  • Atthill, Robin {Old Mendip} (Newton Abbot: David and Charles, 1971)Old Mendip