Drumkilbo 1146

Meigle, Scotland

Brief Description

The designed landscape at Drumkilbo was laid out in the early-19th century and includes early-20th-century formal terraces and mid-20th-century woodland gardens. There is also a fully productive walled kitchen garden. At the time of writing in 2014 the house is available for exclusive-use hire.

History

The structure of the present designed landscape was established during the first half of the 19th century. After improvements in the late-19th century Sir Robert Lorimer was called in during the 1920s by the Cox family to extend the house and design a formal garden. From the 1950s the 17th Baron Elphinstone established ornamental woodland gardens. In 1984 the estate was sold and the family retained the house and policies.

Visitor Facilities

The house and gardens are available for pre-booked group visits.

Detailed Description

The following is from the Historic Environment Scotland Gardens and Designed Landscapes Inventory. For the most up-to-date Inventory entry, please visit the Historic Environment Scotland website:

http://portal.historic-scotland.gov.uk/hes/web/f?p=PORTAL:DESIGNATIONS:0

Type of Site

No information available.

Location and Setting

Drumkilbo House is situated approximately 1 mile (1.5km) to the north-east of the village of Meigle and some 18 miles (29km) north-east of Perth. The A94 forms the northern boundary of the site. The policies lie within the broad vale of Strathmore which contains some of the best agricultural land in Scotland and is within 1 mile (1.5km) of the south bank of the River Isla. To the north there are panoramic views to the Grampian Mountains and, to the south, views to the Sidlaw Hills, both of which are important from within the site. The designed landscape of Drumkilbo is of some significance in the surrounding landscape due to the woodland canopy of the shelterbelts which enclose the gardens. The surrounding policy farmland is important to the setting of the designed landscape and particularly to views from the drive and the edge of the gardens.

Drumkilbo House lies within 16 acres (6.5ha) of designed landscape. Documentary evidence is provided by the 1st & 2nd editions of the OS plans which date from c.1860 & 1900. Comparison between them shows that the extent has remained consistent since the date of the first survey.

Landscape Components

Architectural Features

Drumkilbo House, listed category B, is a 14th century tower house, converted into a farmhouse c.1811. It was enlarged by Sir Robert Lorimer between 1920-22 and altered in 1963 by Robert Hurd & Partners. The Garden Walls and steps adjacent to the house were designed by Sir Robert Lorimer in the 1920s. Various pieces of garden ornamentation also date from this period. The Gatepiers at the entrance drive are also thought to have been designed by Lorimer.

The Home Farmhouse and Steading, listed category B, lies to the south- west of the house. It dates from 1857 although part of the farmhouse is thought to be older. The Gardener's Cottage lies to the south of the house. The Walled Garden lies to the east of the house and was established in its present form in the late 19th century as shown by comparison of the 1st & 2nd edition OS maps.

Woodland

In this rich agricultural land there are few woodland blocks. The woodland consists of the narrow shelterbelts planted c.1800 mainly with deciduous trees including beech and oak.

The drive from the A914 follows the line of one of the shelterbelts. It is lined with specimen trees mainly beech although some conifers were planted at the end of the 19th century. A larch, recently felled, was dated by the rings to c.1730. The shelterbelt along the drive widens out at the south end to surround the gardens.

Woodland Garden

The garden was created by the 17th Lord Elphinstone between 1951-70. The garden divides into two areas: the area around the entrance drive and the garden under the woodland shelterbelts which enclose the policies. Several large trees remain including a sweet chestnut planted c.1750, two magnificent limes dating from 1800 and some beech.

The entrance drive is dominated by a large copper beech and an enormous yellow azalea. A tulip tree (Liriodendron tulipifera), cut down only five years ago, was said to be the oldest in Scotland. To the north of the drive, across the old tennis court, a pond was made and surrounded with waterside plants, such as Hostas, Primulas etc.. Recently, however, the pond has been filled in. To the east of the drive, attractive grass glades have been cut out of the woodland and these have been filled with interesting trees and shrubs. One glade leads to an old elm about 200 years old, and around another corner there are two oaks, the red oak (Quercus rubra) and the evergreen oak (Quercus ilex), probably planted by the Coxes. The beds are planted with small trees such as Magnolia kobus and a good example of Cornus nuttallii. Under these trees, species Rhododendrons and small shrubs are carefully arranged and it was here Lord Elphinstone planted his collection of lilies. The gardens are described in an article in Country Life of September 9th 1965. On the other side of the drive there is a group of lilac and sumach (Rhus typhina).

The Gardens

The Formal Garden is situated on the west side of the house. The structures in the garden were designed by Sir Robert Lorimer c.1920. The garden consists of two terraces, separated by a low retaining wall and linked by steps and a small paved area. A high 10' wall and yew hedge separates the garden from the drive on its north side. A summerhouse is situated on the south side of this north wall, overlooking the garden. A long herbaceous border has recently been reduced in size but still provides a colourful display in the summer. Several notable shrub honeysuckles grow here. In the lower terrace, which was formerly an orchard, some of the old apple trees have been retained and the curving beds have been planted with old fashioned roses, Japanese maples, flowering shrubs and groundcover plants. Roses and Clematis climb through the trees, and bulbs are naturalised in grass swards. Part of the old shelterbelt planting protects the garden from the west winds and in it there are the remains of a footpath edged by evergreen shrubs. There are also several large trees including a good specimen of Douglas fir.

Walled Garden

The kitchen garden is located in the south-east corner of the garden. It is enclosed by walls on three sides and by a hedge on the fourth. The eastern wall curves along the boundary between the garden and the farmland. Along the southern section, where the wall is only 1.75m high, there are fine views across to the Sidlaw Hills. The kitchen garden is well stocked with vegetables, and fruit trees are grown against the walls. Apple trees along the borders were trained as espaliers. Cut flowers for the house are lined out in rows and the formal rose garden contains colourful floribunda and hybrid- tea roses. A modern greenhouse, recently erected, is filled with a fine display of pot plants, tomatoes and tender climbers.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
Summerhouse, Garden Terrace, Pergola
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The house and gardens are available for pre-booked group visits.
History

Detailed History

The following is from the Historic Environment Scotland Gardens and Designed Landscapes Inventory. For the most up-to-date Inventory entry, please visit the Historic Environment Scotland website:

http://portal.historic-scotland.gov.uk/hes/web/f?p=PORTAL:DESIGNATIONS:0

Reason for Inclusion

A compact 19th century landscape with 20th century formal gardens and architectural additions by Sir Robert Lorimer.

Main Phases of Landscape Development

No information available.

Site History

The present designed landscape structure was established during the first half of the 19th century. Improvements were made to the designed landscape during the latter part of the 19th century and to the gardens in the 1920s and between 1951-70.

Drumkilbo House was built around a 14th century tower originally built by the Nairn family; its subsequent history is uncertain but in c.1811 it was converted into a grand farmhouse by the Oliphant family. In 1872, it was sold by the Warncliffe family to the Cox family of Dundee. Reference to the 1st edition OS map of c.1850 shows that the structure of the designed landscape was established by this time. The Coxes made many improvements to the policies, particularly in the 1920s when Sir Robert Lorimer was commissioned to renovate the house and lay out the formal garden. The estate was sold to the 17th Baron Elphinstone in 1951 and it was he who established the majority of the planting which remains today. His nephew, James Alexander, inherited the title of 18th Baron Elphinstone in 1975 and has retained the house and policies although the remainder of the estate was sold in 1984.

Associated People
Contact
References

References

Contributors

  • Historic Scotland