Dalton Hall 1041

South Dalton, East Yorkshire, England

Pgds 20070921 100350 Img 0896

Brief Description

Dalton Hall has a landscape park and pleasure grounds. There is also a walled kitchen garden. The grounds are not open to the public but the Holderness Hunt hold their point-to-point races there each March.

History

Sir Charles Hotham laid out the pleasure grounds between 1723 and 1737. The landscape park was created around 1723. It was partially cultivated during the 1820s and extended in the late 19th century.

Terrain

Gently rolling

Detailed Description

The following is from the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest

Pleasure grounds laid out 1723-37 for Sir Charles Hotham, fifth baronet, possibly with the involvement of Richard, third Earl of Burlington and with advice from Burlington's head gardener Thomas Knowlton. The grounds are one of the best-preserved early 18th-century Rococo gardens in the country. The park was created in stages in the early and late 19th century.

LOCATION, AREA, BOUNDARIES, LANDFORM, SETTING

Dalton Hall lies immediately north and west of the village of South Dalton. The site of about 200 hectares is on rolling land in a rural and agricultural setting. The boundaries are formed by the by-road between Market Weighton and South Dalton on the south side, fencing dividing it from fields and the precincts of the village to the south-east, and by the road to Holme on the Wolds to the north-east. Fencing dividing parkland and plantations from fields forms the boundary on the north and west sides.

REFERENCES Used by English Heritage

T Badeslade and J Rocque, Vitruvius Britannicus IV, (1737)

The Victoria History of the County of York East Riding 4, (1979), pp 87-8

Country Life, no 20 (17 May 1990), pp 198-200

D Neave and D Turnbull, Landscaped Parks and Gardens of East Yorkshire (1992), pp 68-73

N Pevsner and D Neave, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, York and the East Riding (1995), pp 704-6

Maps

John Rocque, Plan of Gardens at South Dalton, 1737 [in Neave and Turnbull 1992]

OS 6" to 1 mile: 1st edition published 1855

OS 25" to 1 mile: 1st edition published 1890

Description written: June 1998

Amended: March 1999

Edited: November 1999

Features

Style

  • Rococo
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Dalton Holme
History

Detailed History

The following is from the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest

In 1552 the Crown granted the property to Frances Aslaby and it remained in the family until Thomas Aslaby sold it to John Hotham Bt in 1680. It passed to Sir Charles Hotham, fourth baronet, in 1697 and the fifth baronet, also Sir Charles, made it his principal seat in 1723. Sir Charles was a close friend of Lord Burlington whose wife was a relative of Hotham's wife, and he visited Burlington when the latter was resident at his nearby country seat, Londesborough Hall, where Burlington was laying out pleasure grounds during the 1720s and 1730s.

The property descended with the baronetcy in the Hotham family thereafter and remains in private ownership (1998).

Associated People
Contact
References

References