The mid-18th-century walled garden at Culzean Castle is situated one kilometre from the house and protected from salt-laden winds by tree planting. It is divided in two by a central wall and has ornamental gates dated 1786. In one section there are restored glasshouses, ornamental plantings and an early-20th-century grotto. Some fruit, vegetables and flowers for cutting are grown in the other section, which is distinguished by double herbaceous borders running the full length of the garden.
The walls of the garden were built in 1752.
Visitor FacilitiesThe walled garden is open daily from 9.30am until 5pm. More information
- Walled Garden
- Description: The restored 19th-century peach house and vinery.
- Garden Building
- Description: The original summerhouse known as the Tea House, which now houses exhibitions.
- Specimen Tree
- Description: A cedar of Lebanon which may date from the mid-18th-century.
- Description: An early 20th-century grotto. The original garden had a grotto under a rockery mound.
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe walled garden is open daily from 9.30am until 5pm.
DirectionsCulzean Castle can be reached by bus with a one mile walk to the castle and visitor centre. The Castle is on National Cycle Route 7, and the nearest station is at Maybole 4 miles away.
Telephone0844 493 2100
The National Trust for Scotland