Coytrahen House is a fairly intact late-18th-century and mid-19th-century landscaped park. The park surrounds a country house with a three storey main block, which was formerly flanked by single storey service wings. There is a well-preserved late-18th-century walled garden, and a terraced garden. There are also 20th-century features.
The park and gardens were created during the ownership of John Popkin, who also built the house. The Great Western railway later cut a swathe across the western edge of the park. With the family decline, the Coytrahen park colliery opened on demesne land in 1905, and the house and remaining land was sold to a timber merchant in 1948. Some alterations to the garden, including a paved area, swimming pool and tennis court were made in the 1970s.
- English Landscape Garden
Terrace, Kitchen Garden, Drive
- Access & Directions
DirectionsDrive leaves road east of Coytrahen village.
- 18th Century
- Late 18th Century
- Associated People
- CADW, Register of Landscapes, Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales:Additional andRevised Entries, Volume1 (Cardiff: CADW, 2007) 2-6Register of Landscapes, Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales: Additional and Revised Entries, Volume 1