Ewenny Priory 1276

Bridgend, Wales

Brief Description

Ewenny Priory is an historic house, built within the precinct of a medieval Benedictine priory, and incorporating parts of its claustral buildings. The garden occupies the monastic precinct, utilising some of its massive walling as walls for the kitchen garden. The walled 16th-century deer park belonging to the Tudor house survives to the south.

History

The present house was complete by 1805. The site had been a medieval priory and a 16th-century deer park with an associated Tudor house.

Features
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Description: The house is a five bay stone mansion on the site of a Tudor house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gatehouse
  • Description: Castellated Gothic gatehouse.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stream
  • Description: Canalised stream.
  • Park Wall
  • Description: Late-16th-century deer park enclosure.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Planting
  • Description: Walled garden.
  • Gatehouse
  • Description: The south gatehouse has a castellated octagonal tower, dating to around 1300.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tower
  • Description: Rectangular tower.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Greenhouse
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pool
  • Description: Modern swimming pool.
Stable Block, Ha-ha, Dovecote, Pond, Fountain, Kitchen Garden
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Ewenny
Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here
References

References