There are several differing elements to the garden including 17th century-style gardens with a moat on two sides.
Columbine Hall has a long history. The site is moated - possibly originally defensive. The hall is named after the Norman family of de Columbers in the 13th century. The present house was built by the Hotoft family in about 1390, forming part of the medieval feudal manor.The original timber frame, jettied structure rises from the moat and was extended in 16th, 17th and 19th centuries. The estate was farmed by tenants for the Earls of Ashburnham until 1914 when the remaining 240 acres were sold. The house and 29 acres of the original manorial lands were bought by the current owners in 1993.
Visitor FacilitiesPlease visit the website for information about visiting.
- Jacobean-Style Garden
- Manor House (featured building)
- Description: Timber framed on flint foundations, jettied 3 wings
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsPlease visit the website for information about visiting.
DirectionsLeave A14 at junction with A1120 (Stowmarket). Proceed to Stowupland, turn left in Village opposite garage. Cross green, at T junction turn right into Gipping Road. Follow road for about half a mile, turn left into drive marked by two wooden posts.