Clopton House 863

Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, England

Brief Description

A house and associated gardens originating in the late 13th century, with many later alterations and additions.Archaeological research indicates that formal gardens were laid out in the 17th century, with evidence of raised terraces and a canal system with fish pond. Residue of sixteenth century parkland survives beyond the gardens. The current site occupies approximately 1 hectare.

History

The earliest building on the site dates to the 13th century, with many later alterations and additions. In World War I it was used as a military hospital. In the mid-1980s the house was converted into apartments.

Features

Style

  • Classical Landscape
  • Great House (featured building)
  • Description: Clopton house was built around 1600 in a quadrangular plan and later remodelled in the Restoration style. The house was the home of the Clopton family until the 18th century. It is believed to have been visited by Shakespeare and is one of several places where he is said to have been married. The house was rented in 1605 by Ambrose Rockwood, one of the Gunpowder Plot conspirators.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Description: Gate piers to north west of Clopton House have brick band below ashlar cornice with finial in the form of a lion holding cartouche.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Description: Gatepiers approximately 20 metres south of Verney Drive are late 17th century Ashlar on coursed limestone bases. Pier with rebated angles has entablature and ball finial. Inner faces have a niche with impost band and shell vault; outer faces have tall round-headed recess. The piers formed part of the entrance to Clopton Park, but are now surrounded by a late 20th century housing estate.
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Description: Gate piers to north west of Clopton House have brick band below ashlar cornice with finial in the form of a lion holding cartouche.
  • Earliest Date:
Access & Directions

Directions

North of Stratford-on-Avon, south of the A46
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here