With a 16th-century peel tower at its core Bemersyde House is an imposing house set within fine gardens and grounds close to the burgh of Melrose in the Borders.
The gardens were laid out by Field Marshal Earl Haig.
The old Border Peel Tower most probably built on the site of an earlier dwelling was completed in 1535 during the reign of James V as the result of an Act of Parliament requiring defensive towers to be built along the English Army. It was intended as a watchtower and signal fires would be built to warn of approaching danger from reivers or the English Army. Built from stone from the quarry on Bemersyde, the original tower had four storeys and a vaulted roof.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Access contact details
The gardens only are open by appointment.
- Features & Designations
- Key Information
Open to the public