Priorwood Garden 2711

Melrose, Scotland

Brief Description

The garden at Priorwood is divided into two distinct areas. One area is devoted to the growing and processing of dried flowers. The other is an orchard tracing the development of the apple tree in Great Britain since Roman times.

History

An area of the garden may have been cultivated by the monks of Melrose Abbey in the early-12th century. The garden was enclosed in the late-18th century and still cultivated in the mid-19th century. In 1940 it became a market garden. The National Trust for Scotland developed the present garden from 1976 with the help of Lady Thomson.

Visitor Facilities

The site is open Mondays to Saturdays between April and December, closing earlier in the winter months. More information
Features

Plant Environment

  • Walled Garden
  • Environment
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Orchard, Herbaceous Border
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is open Mondays to Saturdays between April and December, closing earlier in the winter months.

Directions

Priorwood can be reached by bus and is on National Cycle Route 1. For details see: http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/Priorwood-Garden-and-Dried-Flower-Shop/Travel-information
Authorities

Electoral Ward

  • Melrose and District
Associated People

Just one person associated to Priorwood Garden

Contact

Telephone

0844 493 2100

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • The National Trust for Scotland

References

References