Chiefswood (also known as Burnfoot)788

Melrose, Scotland

Brief Description

The gardens at Chiefswood are associated with the early-19th-century house built by Sir Walter Scott. There are 19th- and 20th-century mixed woodlands and an ornamental walled garden which retains its 19th-century layout. A bog garden, shrubberies and rose garden all date to the period after 1959.

History

Sir Walter Scott enlarged Chiefswood for his daughter and son-in-law in about 1820. The house was tenanted from 1826 until the late-19th century and then saw a succession of owners. The woodland and walled garden were established by the mid-19th century. Further tree planting was carried out between 1949 and 1959. The property was bought by Professor Trevor-Roper, later Lord Dacre, in 1959. The present gardens have been created since 1959 by Lady Dacre.

Features
Summerhouse, Sundial, Shrubbery, Rose Garden
Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here
References

References