Bank Hall 5394

Bretherton, England, Lancashire, Chorley

Brief Description

Features of Bank Hall's gardens and grounds are unknown at this time. Currently, the property is being restored.

History

Bank Hall was established in the early-17th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

Little is known about Bank Hall's gardens due to detrioration and neglect. However, there is information available about Bank Hall's house. Bank Hall is a two-and-a-half storey brick house, with roofs of Cumbrian slate. The Hall is located in former ornamental parkland. It has a north-facing entrance-front and south-facing garden-front. The earliest identifiable phase of the present building dates from the early-17th century. This phase is characterised by brick work in English garden-wall bond. The ground floor consists of a four-bay halls, with a parlour to the west. A wing containing two rooms is located to the east. Probably in the second quarter of the 17th century, a four-storey stair tower was added to the Hall. This retains its original open well staircase.

In 1832-33, the house was extensively remodelled. George Webster, a Kendal-based architect, remodelled the house in an early example of 19th-century Jacobean style. The main entrance porch, a drawing room wing, extensive service accommodation and the north wing were all added in this phase.

Features
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bretherton
History

Detailed History

Bank Hall, a large countryhouse, was built in the 17th century as a private residence. Currently, Bank Hall is undergoing a major restoration project.
References

References

Contributors

  • E. Bennis and J. Dyke