Bamford Hall was an Elizabethan house, demolished in 1951, on the northern edge of a park originating in the medieval period. There were gardens within the park, and a possible kitchen garden to the rear of the Hall.St Michael's Church was built within the park.
A hall was recorded on the site in the 13th century. The park was relatively featureless until the end of the 19th century. Plantings included almost circular clumps of trees and a thick boundary belt.
A hall, gardens and park originating in the medieval period.
The Hall (demolished 1951) was associated with a scatter of buildings concentrated around Kenyon Fold, known as Bamford settlement.
The site is bounded by Rochdale Road to the south, Norden Road to the east, and Bamford Wood and Naden Brooke to the west, with open fields to the north. There are two entrances to the site, one from Butterworth Fold and one from Rochdale Road. The Hall lay towards the northern edge of the park.
The park was relatively featureless in the mid 19th century, but by the end of the century a number of tree clumps, some almost circular, had been planted and a thick boundary belt was being developed along the junction of the two roads and around Butterworth Fold.
Although the area was not heavily developed at the time, St Michael's Church (date unknown) was built within the park, screened by a large clump, and the area around Butterworth Fold was also beginning to change.
The site of a possible kitchen garden lay to the rear of the hall.
Kitchen Garden, Chapel, Belt
A hall was recorded on the site in the 13th century. The final residence, of possible Elizabethan date, was demolished in 1951.
Tree clumps and a boundary belt were planted in the late 19th century.
St Michael's church was built within the park at an unknown date.
- University of Manchester and University of York 1994A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Greater Manchester