The Argory 133

Dungannon, Northern Ireland

Brief Description

The site is a former orchard garden on Blackwater River, linked to a house of 1824. Its features include mature trees, pleasure grounds with yew arbours, two pavilions, a riverside lime walk and a sundial garden of 1833.

History

The house was built in 1824. The sundial garden was laid out in 1833.

Visitor Facilities

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/argory/opening-times/

Detailed Description

The Argory is a classical house of 1824, set in a landscape park, and approached via gate lodges. There are mature trees, pleasure grounds with yew arbours, and two pavilions, one of which is a garden house. There is a riverside lime walk, a sundial garden dating from 1833, and a walled garden.

Features
  • Arbour
  • Description: Yew arbour
  • Riverside Walk
  • Description: Riverside lime walk
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Walled garden
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: Classical house of 7 bays and 2 storeys. Wing set back.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Garden House, Gate Lodge
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/argory/opening-times/

Directions

The site is four miles from Charlemont, which is three miles from the M1 exit 13 or 14, signposted. National cycle Route 95, 7 miles. Ulsterbus 67 Portadown to Dungannon, nearest stop Charlemont, then 2.5 mile walk.
History

Detailed History

The house was built in 1824 for Walter McGeough to the design of A. and J. Williamson, architects in the office of Francis Johnston. The sundial garden was laid out in 1833.
Associated People

People associated to The Argory

Contact

Telephone

0844 800 1895

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • The National Trust

    Rowallane House, Saintfield, Ballynahinch, Co. Down, BT24 7LH
References

References