Wood Hall 3566

Cockermouth, England, Cumbria, Allerdale

Brief Description

Wood Hall has a parkland and gardens designed by Thomas Mawson in the early-20th century. The gardens have undergone a programme of restoration from the 1970s to the present (2007). Features include the rose and box walks, the paved garden which was created from the site of a now lost conservatory, and the steeply terraced hillside.

History

In 1910 Thomas Mawson was commissioned to create the gardens. They have been restored in the late-20th century.

Visitor Facilities

Open by appointment only. Telephone 01900 823585 for further information.

Detailed Description

A curved balustrade stood in front of the now demolished old house. From here the garden drops steeply so Thomas Mawson created a series of terraces with grassed lawns.

In the centre of the lawn, in front of the curved balustrade stood a cherub statue holding a sundial above his head.

The site was brought by new owners in 1969 and work began on restoring the garden in the 1970s. One new feature of this period has been the creation of the Paved Garden. It is created from the site of the old conservatory which stood behind the old hall.

Features
  • Summerhouse
  • Description: Stone Summerhouse.
  • Summerhouse
  • Description: Stone summerhouse
  • Walk
  • Description: Box Walk.
  • Walk
  • Description: Rose Walk
  • Temperate House
  • Description: Peach House
  • Steps
  • Description: Serpentine steps which have been reconstructed from Mawson's designs.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Pond
  • Description: A formal fish pond.
  • Statue
  • Description: A cherub's torso was found by a visitor during the restoration of the gardens. The hands have also been found. The statue originally held a sundial above its head in the centre of the curved balustrade.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Balustrade
  • Description: A curved balustrade located in front of the house.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

Open by appointment only. Telephone 01900 823585 for further information.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Cockermouth
History

Detailed History

The site of Wood Hall has been occupied since the 9th century. Various halls have stood on the site. Most recently between 1870 to 1946 when the hall was demolished.

Period

  • Early 20th Century
Associated People

Just one person associated to Wood Hall