A college garden set around a theological college established in 1881. The garden features informal planting, a wilderness area, a main court and terracing. A new court has been formed to the east.
The college was established in 1881 and extended in 1889.
Detailed DescriptionThe central area is dominated by the spire of All Saints', and is used as a croquet lawn and part orchard with wild flowers in long grass (the wilderness). Around Main Court are herbaceous borders edged with lavender. The south facing terrace has shrubs backed by wisterias and passionflowers. A new court has been formed to the east on the site of the vicarage with lawns and children's play facilities.
Croquet Lawn, Terrace, Herbaceous Border, Orchard
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Detailshttp://www.westcott.cam.ac.uk/
Detailed HistoryWestcott Theological College lies to the south of Jesus Lane and to the west of All Saints' Church, and was founded in 1881. The College built a range of accommodation along Jesus Lane in 1899 by Grayson and Ould, which was added to by other architects over the following 30 years. This resulted in a relaxed enclosed Main Court with terraces on various levels and a cloister in the south-west corner.
Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust