Location, Area, Boundaries, Landform and Setting
Located in the village of Cannington, Somerset, the Walled Gardens lie within the grounds of a medieval priory and many of its fine buildings, including the walls of the garden, remain. Having undergone extensive redevelopment, the gardens were officially opened by HRH the Earl of Wessex, Prince Edward in 2009 and have also been accredited as a ‘quality assured visitor attraction' by Visit England.
Gardens and Pleasure Grounds
The gardens are also a Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) recommended garden. The gardens have classic and contemporary features such as; the 'hot' herbaceous border; the blue garden; a sub-tropical walk; and a Victorian style fernery, amongst others.
There is also a botanical glasshouse where arid, sub-tropical and tropical plants can be seen and two smaller gardens within the walls (The Bishop's and Australasian Gardens) are areas of real tranquillity.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Access contact details
The Walled Gardens are open 10am to 3pm, Tuesday to Sunday. Please note last admission to the Gardens is 1 hour before closure.
For the National Garden Scheme on Saturday and Sunday – entry fees will be donated to charities
Cannington Priory (later Cannington Court) was first established in about 1138 by the De Courcy family – lords of nearby Stogursey.
In 2004, Cannington College merged with Bridgwater College. Since the merger there has been significant investment in facilities and equipment, including the redevelopment of the Walled Gardens.
- Features & Designations
- Key Information
Open to the public