Vine Pleasure Grounds and Judd's Piece, Sevenoaks 3387

Sevenoaks, England, Kent, Sevenoaks

Brief Description

The Vine Pleasure Grounds features a cricket pitch, bandstand, pavilion, band practice room, pergola, pond and bridge. The area known as Judd's Piece is a copse and grass area that was given to the town in 1948 presumably as an addition to the pleasure grounds.

Visitor Facilities

This is a municipal site for general public use.

Detailed Description

On the southern side, The Vine Gardens can be entered from the High Street. This is a paved garden, under a creeper-clad pergola, which leads to a pond with a rustic bridge. Roses and herb borders form a fragrant approach to the grassy space adjoining the cricket ground. A listed pavilion, a bandstand and a band practice room all date from the 19th-century.

Cricket was played on The Vine from 1734, some 50 years before the ground was given to the town by the Duke of Dorset. Seven oaks were planted here to commemorate the coronation of King Edward VII in 1902 and six had to be replaced after the hurricane of 1987.

Judd's Piece, nearby on Hollybush Lane, is a small area of copse and grass given in 1948 by Mr Walter Judd.

Features
  • Bandstand
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pavilion
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Seven oaks were planted here to commemorate the coronation of King Edward VII in 1902 and six had to be replaced after the hurricane of 1987.
Ornamental Bridge, Pond, Pergola
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

This is a municipal site for general public use.
References

References

Contributors

  • Kent Gardens Trust