Tapton House, a Georgian mansion, was home to George Stephenson. The grounds of Tapton House are now used for the Tapton Park Innovation Centre and the house itself is currently the higher education campus for Chesterfield College.
Built in the late-18th-century, Tapton House was first leased to George Stephenson, pioneer of steam locomotives, from 1838 until 1848. Following Stephenson's death, the house became home to Charles Markham, Director of Staveley Coal Company and Mayor of Chestefield. In 1925 the decision was taken by Markham to give the 200 acres of parkland to the Chesterfield Borough Council.From 1931 to 1993, the House was Tapton House Central Selective School. Following refurbishment work in 1994, it became a College of Further and Higher Education and the surrounding area became The Tapton Campus of Chesterfield College.
- House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Access & Directions
DirectionsTapton House is located near to the town?s railway station and close to junctions 29 and 30 of the M1.
- 18th Century