The house and garden originate in the 15th century, but the present gardens were created between 1855 and 1865 by Richard Watts. The original moats have been partly filled in and lawned over. Those that do remain are dry and contain shrub borders. Other features include a rose garden and a stream garden. The site originally occupied about 60 hectares but is now reduced to 11 hectares.
The gardens date originally from the 15th century, and were redesigned in the 17th century. This layout was in turn superseded in the mid-19th century, when Richard Watts redesigned the gardens when the house was in the process of restoration. The National Trust are refurbishing the 19th century designs.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 11 am throughout the year except in January.
- Manor House (featured building)
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 11 am throughout the year except in January.
DirectionsOn the north bank of the river Mersey, 1 mile off the A561, immediately west of John Lennon Airport.
- Victorian (1837-1901)