Pinwherry Castle (also known as Pinwhyrry, Penwhirn, Penwherry Castle)4190

Pinwherry, Scotland

Brief Description

The ivy-clad ruins of the 16th-century Pinwherry Castle stand in the grounds of Pinwherry House. Pinwherry Wood to the west may be a relic of earlier planting.

History

Pinwherry Castle was built in the 16th century and was a Kennedy family stronghold. In the mid-17th century there was enclosed woodland planting there. A century later scattered woodland overlooked cultivated ground by the River Duisk. The castle was in ruins by the end of the 18th century. Penwherry Wood appears on mid-19th-century maps and may be a relic of earlier planting.

Features
  • Castle (featured building)
  • Description: The castle is now an ivy-covered ruin.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Period

  • Tudor (1485-1603)
Contact

Telephone

0131 668 8600

Official Website

Click Here
References

References