The small cemetery has brick walls and railings either side of the entrance gate onto Oak Lane. The cemetery is generally separated from the housing by brick walls; it has a simple layout consisting of a central path that has been restored with one side path, and the tombs are set among grass. In places overgrown, there are numerous trees, including conifers, with some new trees planted near the entrance as part of the restoration work.
Land for a new cemetery was granted by Queen Victoria in 1838.
Visitor FacilitiesMon - Sat: 7.30am - dusk/Sun & Bank Hols: 9am - dusk
Detailed DescriptionLand for a new cemetery was granted by Queen Victoria in 1838 when both the churchyard of Twickenham Parish Church of St Mary and its supplementary burial ground at Holly Road, now Holly Road Garden of Rest, were full. However, the new Oak Lane Cemetery itself filled up quickly due to the rapidly expanding population largely due to the coming of the railway to Twickenham; the last burial here was in 1955 and the cemetery was officially closed. Friends of Oak Lane Cemetery was set up and raised funds enabling them to restore paths and provide an information plaque in 2001. Surrounded by housing, the small cemetery is nevertheless a haven for wildlife.
Site history board in cemetery
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=RIC050
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsMon - Sat: 7.30am - dusk/Sun & Bank Hols: 9am - dusk
DirectionsRail: Twickenham. Bus: R70, R68, H22, 290, 490, 33.
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust