Moonhill 7164

Cuckfield, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, England

Brief Description

A highly elaborate design for Moonhill’s garden was devised by Thomas Mawson around 1910. It consisted of a large, rectangular, sunken lily pond, terraced lawns, formal hedges and topiary. The sheme was not fully implemented. Photographs from the time show the gardens laid out to the south and east of the house with terraces and lawns. There is an axial path bisecting the garden from west to east.

History

For many years the site was a farm known as ‘Upper Moonhill Farm’. In 1898 the then-current owner, Walter Lloyd, commissioned the architect P. Morley Horder to build a new house in the Arts and Crafts style with a garden to be designed by Thomas Mawson, the renowned landscape architect.

Detailed Description

‘Moonhill' is situated 1.25 miles south of Cuckfield, West Sussex. Brick-built with pebble dashing and half-timbered gables, the house features a tower and copper-coloured cupola.

A highly elaborate design for Moonhill's garden was devised by Thomas Mawson around 1910. It consisted of a large, rectangular, sunken lily pond, terraced lawns, formal hedges and topiary. It would appear that only part of this scheme was carried out as evidenced by the 1911 Ordnance Survey map, together with photographs from the time. These show the gardens laid out to the south and east of the house with terraces and lawns. There is an axial path bisecting the garden from west to east, culminating at its eastern end in a three-acre plot of mixed woodland.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Description: Brick-built with pebble dashing and half-timbered gables, the house features a tower and copper-coloured cupola.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Cuckfield
History

Detailed History

In 1279 the land at ‘Moonhill' was held by Richard Mychell. For many years it was a farm known as ‘Upper Moonhill Farm'. In 1810 the will of James Burtenshaw (yeoman of Cuckfield) shows that he left the farm and 70 acres to his sons. In 1818 the farm was in the ownership of Benjamin Beale, together with buildings, gardens and farmlands.

In 1860 ‘Upper Moonhill Farm' was tenanted to a Charles Juniper. By 1861 it formed part of the Sergison family's estate and covered 67 acres.

By 1878 Horace Herriot had become the farm's owner. In 1898 the then-current owner, Walter Lloyd, commissioned the architect P. Morley Horder to build a new house in the Arts and Crafts style with a garden to be designed by Thomas Mawson, the renowned landscape architect.

In the 1920s the owners, Kleinworts who lived at nearby ‘Heaselands' with its fine plant collection, rented the property to Lady Mary Meynell from Yorkshire.

It is believed that Mrs. Lampson, a founder member of the Women's Institute, was also a former resident. During World War 2 ‘Moonhill' was requisitioned by the authorities for use by military personnel. Later it operated for some years as a dispersal unit for East European refugees and displaced persons. To date, it is in divided ownership.

Period

  • Early 20th Century
Associated People
References

References

Contributors

  • Hilary May

    1

  • Elizabeth Gilbert

    1

  • Sussex Gardens Trust