Harvest Hill 5263

Nr Cuckfield, England, West Sussex, Mid Sussex

Brief Description

Cluttons Sale Details (January 2005) says that the house, which is approached by two driveways, sits well within the grounds (7.28 hectares) with landscaped formal gardens which include croquet lawn, ornamental pond, kitchen garden, swimming pool and hard tennis court. The area of land is half of what it was in 1809.

History

The first map evidence is seen on the 1679 manorial map for the Abergavenny Estate. The 1843 Cuckfield Tithe Map shows a small house (a farm house) with some outbuildings.

Detailed Description

The 1st edition Ordnance Survey Map 1874 shows a different house on the site, so it was rebuilt between 1843 and 1874. It was possibly sold and the house 'gentrified'. A garden (having shrubbery and paths) has been laid out and a carriage drive enters from the main road [now the B2036] with a carriage circle in front of the main entrance. The outer farm buildings to the north have been extended. The 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, 1897, shows the same house, with further outbuildings to the north and a screen of trees planted alongside the road in the field to the south. The 3rd edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1911, shows little difference except for some small planting to the east of the house.

Cluttons Sale Details [January 2005] says that the house, which is approached by two driveways, sits well within the grounds [ 7.28 hectares or 18 acres] with landscaped formal gardens which include croquet lawn, ornamental pond, kitchen garden, swimming pool and hard tennis court situated on the southern side of the property. The area of land is half of what it was in 1809.

Features

Style

  • Formal
  • Drive
  • Description: The house is approached by two driveways.
Croquet Lawn, Kitchen Garden, Ornamental Pond, Outdoor Swimming Pool
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Cuckfield
History

Detailed History

The first map evidence is seen on the 1679 manorial map for the Abergavenny Estate. The map was taken from 'An antien Survey (around 1625) of the Lordship and Demeane landes of the Manor of Cockfeild lying in the perish of Cockfeild and elsewhere, one moiety thereof belonging to ...George Lord Aburgany, transcribed in the year of our lord 1679 by Robert Whitepaine'. It shows a house on the land, Harvesthill. The land area unreadable. [ESRO ACC 363/48]

In the 1809 book of estate maps the site is shown as in the ownership of Warden Sergison at Cuckfield Place. Harvest Hill Farm is noted with 30 acres but no house.

The 1818 book of land holdings for Cuckfield Parish shows Harvest Hill and Pooride, Harvest Hill Cottage.

The 1843 Cuckfield Tithe Map shows a small house (a farm house) with some outbuildings. The Sergisons appear to have started to sell off land as the Tithe Appointionment lists the land as belonging to Henry Aldfred Noble and tenanted by an Edward Hill. The farm is mainly arable with some pasture around the farmhouse. The fields to the west [Nos. 131-138] still belong to the Sergison estate and are tenanted by a William Packham.

Period

  • Victorian (1837-1901)
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here