Lowndes Park 4580

Chesham, England, Buckinghamshire, Chiltern

Brief Description

Lowndes Park is a landscaped public park, formerly a private estate owned by the Lowndes family and set out in the 17th century.

History

The park was first landscaped in the 17th century. From the 18th century onwards the land was let out for grazing. The pond was used for training soldiers in bridge construction during World War 1. The park was first let to the local council as a public recreation ground in the 1920s, and ownership subsequently passed to the council in 1953.

Visitor Facilities

The is a municipal park for general public use. Please see: http://www.chesham.gov.uk/Open_Spaces/Lowndes_Park.aspx
Features
  • Earthwork
  • Description: A bronze age bowl barrow known locally as the 'Rolling Pin'.
  • Cascade
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: An avenue of elm trees.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Pond
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The is a municipal park for general public use. Please see: http://www.chesham.gov.uk/Open_Spaces/Lowndes_Park.aspx

Directions

http://www.chesham.gov.uk/Open_Spaces/Lowndes_Park.aspx
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Chesham
Contact

Telephone

020 7539 7900

Official Website

Click Here

Other websites

Owners

  • Chesham Town Council

References

References