Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Amersham Cemetery and Martyrs Memorial

Introduction

The site of the 19th-century Amersham Cemetery and the Martyrs Memorial includes a number of specimen trees.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
History

In 1931, a memorial to the Martyrs of Amersham was erected on the hill near Rectory or Parsonage Woods, by Ruccles Field. The memorial can be approached either by a footpath leading from St. Mary's Church, or from a footpath (slightly over grown) leading from Station Road.

The memorial was unveiled by a Mrs L. R. Raine, a direct descendant of martyr Thomas Harding, who is commemorated on the memorial.

The memorial commemorates the deaths of seven local Protestant martyrs and Lollards (six men and one woman) who were burnt at the stake in 1506 and 1521. It also commemorates the deaths of three Amersham men who were burned elsewhere including Great Missenden, Smithfield, and Chesham between 1506 and 1532, as well as one Amersham man who was strangled to death at Woburn in 1514

Key Information

Type

Funerary Site

Purpose

Sacred / Ritual / Funerary

Principal Building

Commemorative

Survival

Extant

Civil Parish

Amersham

References

References