Happy Valley, Tunbridge Wells 1617

England, Kent, Tunbridge Wells

Brief Description

Pleasure gardens of 6.7 hectares laid out in 1708 by James Long around a cold bath fed by springs. A series of pools drop into the valley as do a set of stone steps known locally as the 'Roman' or 105 steps. The gardens were used as a tea garden in 1888 although the teahouse was replaced with house, now a hotel, in 1895. The gardens were further developed in 1907 by a Colonel Sladen.

Features
Walk, Pool
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Speldhurst