Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Gresgarth Hall (also known as , )

Introduction

Gresgarth Hall's gardens were completely re-designed in the late-20th century. Features include terraced gardens, lakeside gardens, an orchard and a woodland garden.

Gresgarth Hall's gardens have been recently developed. Before 1996, the estate mainly consisted of parkland. There were also a fishpond, disused corn mill, and pilgrims rest. In 1985, a terraced garden was added to the estate. Since 1996, Gresgarth Hall features an entrance forecourt and multiple terraced gardens. There is a series of hedged, coloured and themed gardens throughout the estate. Gresgarth Hall has herbaceous borders and a re-designed lake. Close to the lake there is a lakeside garden and a bog. A wild garden and a large terraced, kitchen garden are located within the grounds. There is also a nuttery, orchard and a woodland garden. Modern and classical sculpture is displayed throughout the Gresgarth Hall garden.
Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Access contact details

The opening times for the gardens are extremely limited. http://www.visitlancashire.com/site/gresgarth-hall-p18027

History

Gresgarth Hall was founded about 1330. The Hall was constructed as a defensive home by Agnes and John Curwen. The Curwens possessed Gresgarth Hall for the following 300 years. John Curwen of Caton, fourth in line of descent from the John who married Agnes, died some time after 1457. At this time, the estate passed to a relative, Gilbert Curwen and his descendants. When the last Curwen died in 1633, Gresgarth Hall passed to the Morleys. The Morleys then sold the estate to the Girlingtons of Therland (Thurland).

In 1805, Gresgarth Hall house was remodelled, which softened the defensive characteristics of the house. The estate was then passed to several owners until the late-20th century. In 1996, the current owner purchased the estate. The current owners renovated the house and re-designed the gardens. Gresgarth Hall gardens are open to the public on select days. There is also a plant nursery located on the estate.

Features & Designations

Features

  • Fishpond
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Orchard
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Ornamental Lake
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information

Type

Country Estate

Purpose

Ornamental

Principal Building

Fortified House

Survival

Extant

Hectares

6

Open to the public

Yes

Civil Parish

Caton-with-Little

References

Contributors

  • E. Bennis and J. Dyke