The garden may have been designed by Gertrude Jekyll. It was originally a medieval farm, with Victorian and later improvements. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows the house built on three sides around a courtyard, but the layout has changed considerably.
The site was formerly called Fidges, or Fidgets Farm, and dates back to 1327, when Richard Fychet owned it.
Observations from the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map shows that the house was buot on three sides around a courtyard. Boundaries are difficult to establish. There are two ponds to the south-east of the house.
The modern Ordnance Survey map is hard to equate with the 1st edition, as the house has changed substantially. The ponds are no longer there.
Formerly called Fidges, or Fidgets Farm, the site dates back to 1327, when Richard Fychet owned it. It was once part of the Buckhurst Estate. The house and gardens were greatly altered in the 19th century.
Fishers Gate was so-called, because it was one of many gates into the Royal Forest of Ashdown. In 1922 it was the house of the Earl de la Warr, who enlarged and improved the house. The timber frame was covered by a Neo-Georgian exterior. The home farm consisted of around 850 acres of pasture and arable land.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
- Associated People