The ancient East Tytherley Manor house has been demolished. However, remnants of the 13th-century deer park, field evidence for the North Walk, the Grove, the cedar trees planted in the late-18th century and the ornamental parkland, with a line of lime trees remain. These together give the area a distinctive historic landscape character.
In the early-13th century, the park was enclosed with a ditch and hedge, probably by Michael de Columbars.
Detailed DescriptionEast Tytherley Manor is to the north-west of Mottisfont between the River Test and the Hampshire / Wiltshire county boundary. It is rolling chalkland rising to Broughton Down in the north, and dropping down to the River Dun, which feeds into the Test, to the south. In medieval times the Down was part of Buckholt Forest.
The first edition Ordnance Survey map shows a number of avenues and axes including a yew tree avenue running from the road to the north-east. This path led to Queenwood Farm, which later became the site for Robert Owen's Harmony Hall community. The Rolle family's main residence was at Bicton in Devon, where Denys Rolle also carried out some landscape improvements. Denys Rolle died in 1797.
In 1801, the manor of Lockerly and the manor and rectory of East Tytherley were sold to William Steele Wakeford of Andover. The estate was sold again in 1822 to Sir Isaac Goldsmid and Mr R S Francis Baily, Goldsmid's steward. However, disagreement over the ownership resulted in Goldsmid taking the Tytherley manor and Baily taking the Lockerley side of the estate. The Dalgety family purchased the Lockerley manor in 1866, and in 1879 were able to buy the Tytherley portion.
The 1870s Ordnance Survey map clearly shows two large fishponds in Fishpond Wood within the park and woodland setting, with a path and an avenue of trees through the wood. Their origin is uncertain, although they may have been part of the manor's medieval fishponds. They now appear to be becoming overgrown, as only one is shown on the current Ordnance Survey maps.
The nine acre site of the Grove, to the south of the manor, was probably originally an area of woodland with walks through, and could have been part of a more formal landscape design. By 1903, part of the manor roof had fallen in and the building was demolished. Oaklands House, which was built in the landscape park near the Old Smithy, and the Letter Box Cottage, both listed (LB II), were probably lodges or gatehouses connected with the North Walk. Home Farm, adjacent to the cottages, still has some fine barns. In 1983, the estate was sold and divided into lots.
- Tree Feature
- Description: About 1787, according to the Victoria County History, Denys Rolle and his six daughters planted cedars (VCH 1911).
- Earliest Date:
- Latest Date:
- Description: The 1870s Ordnance Survey map clearly shows two large fishponds in Fishpond Wood within the park and woodland setting.
- Latest Date:
- Description: Taylor, in his 1759 map, noted Denys Rolle as the owner, and depicted a long tree-lined avenue extending northwards from the manor to the Roman Road, which ran between Winchester and Salisbury.
- Latest Date:
- Tree Avenue
- Description: Avenue of trees through the wood.
- Latest Date:
- East Tytherley
Detailed HistoryThe Manor has a long history. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book. In the early-13th century, the park was enclosed with a ditch and hedge, probably by Michael de Columbars. It is likely that his relative, Matthew, paid 100 marks to keep the park enclosed and to make other enclosures (Victoria County History, 1911). There is sufficient evidence of the park pales to identify the size and extent of the deer park.
It would appear that, after the Columbars' tenure, over the next two centuries the Crown granted the manor to various people, but remained its owner. The last mention of a grant by the Crown was in 1496 when Henry VII granted the manor of Tytherley and Lockerly to George Bainbridge. The Giffard family owned it in the late-16th century, and sold it to Sir Henry Wallop in 1626. Twenty seven years later, Henry Rolle, who was the Lord Chief Justice of the Upper Bench of Westminster, became the owner (VCH, 1911). Shortly after, alterations were made to the Elizabethan mansion.
Exactly when the parkland came into being is unknown. However, Taylor, in his 1759 map, noted Denys Rolle as the owner, and depicted a long tree-lined avenue extending northwards from the manor to the Roman Road, which ran between Winchester and Salisbury. This double avenue of elms changed to single lines around the parkland as it approached the house. The avenue was known as the North Walk, which is still noted on Ordnance Survey maps, although the elms have long gone.
About 1787, according to the Victoria County History, Denys Rolle and his six daughters planted cedars (VCH 1911). The cedar trees and line of lime trees in the parkland, which are adjacent to the village street still help to retain the historic parkland character of the area. The one inch to the mile Ordnance Survey map of around 1810 shows the extent of the parkland mainly to the west of the village road, but also on the opposite side. Later maps show that directly opposite the manor the parkland continued, but just to the north, there were three dwellings with their own enclosed gardens. North of those were a well laid out kitchen garden, orchard and glasshouses which are assumed to be part of the manor.