Dunmore 1178

Airth, Scotland

Brief Description

Only a remnant of the original designed landscape survives at Dunmore. The parkland is now farmed, the house derelict and the gardens largely overgrown. The 18th-century walled garden, gifted to the National Trust for Scotland in 1974, features the architectural folly known as The Pineapple, the subject of a separate site entry.

History

The walled garden at Dunmore dates from about 1761. A painting of 1810 shows Dunmore Tower as a folly in a romantic parkland landscape. The current house, now largely demolished, was built in about 1820 by William Wilkins. Wooded grounds and beautiful gardens were laid out at the same time. The parkland is now farmed and the walled garden is restored. Pineapple folly is in separate ownership. Plans are being discussed at the beginning of the 21st century to restore the house, financed by housing development.

Detailed Description

The following is from the Historic Environment Scotland Gardens and Designed Landscapes Inventory. For the most up-to-date Inventory entry, please visit the Historic Environment Scotland website:

http://portal.historic-scotland.gov.uk/hes/web/f?p=PORTAL:DESIGNATIONS:0

Type of Site

No information available.

Location and Setting

Dunmore Park lies some 8 miles (13.5km) ESE of Stirling on the south bank of the River Forth, about 4km from the Kincardine Bridge and the same distance from the M876. The site is bounded by the A905 to the north and east of the Park and by woodlands to the south and west. The policy woodlands and ornamental trees are significant in the surrounding agricultural landscape, and fine views are obtained from the Park, particularly to the north-east and across the Firth.

The designed landscape remained similar in extent between the 1865 and 1910 1st & 2nd edition maps. It was bounded by the A905, and by the woodlands to the west and south of the Park, and extended to Dunmore village in the north-east and Airth village in the south-east. Since the estate was broken up in 1968, the Park area has been farmed, but traces of the former design remain in the field pattern and tree plantings. Dunmore Tower, the remains of the former Elphinstone Castle, has been incorporated as a feature in the designed landscape. There are 760 acres (308ha) of remnant designed landscape today.

Landscape Components

Architectural Features

The Mansion House, listed B, is a ruined tudor gothic design by William Wilkins, built c.1820 and currently under demolition. The Stables, also 19th century, are listed B and have been adopted for farm use. Dunmore Tower, of 15th-16th century origin, was restored in the 19th century and listed C(S). The Pineapple and Walled Garden, built in 1761 or slightly later, are listed A (and are the subject of a separate entry). There is also the East Lodge which is listed B.

Parkland

The parkland is farmed today and the outer fields are cropped. However the roundel plantings remain, as does a lime avenue along the main drive to the house. More ornamental trees remain along the former drive from the walled garden to the house and in the area to the south-west of the house. Most of the individual parkland trees have gone and both the West Lodge and the summerhouse recorded on the 1st edition map have since disappeared.

Woodland

The woodland blocks to the south and west of the parks are coniferous plantations today. Formerly there were many woodland walks within the woodlands linking the house and shrubbery with the walled garden, the chapel and Tower, and with other features such as the summerhouse. There was an extensive walled shrubbery planted to the north of the house, which is overgrown today.

Walled Garden

The large walled garden is divided into two sections: the west section which was subdivided into ten compartments with an ornamental canal at its southern end, and the eastern section which was used as an orchard in 1863. The unique folly gardenhouse, The Pineapple, was built in 1761, not long after pineapples were introduced to Scotland in 1732. It was surrounded on both sides by an extensive range of glasshouses which have since gone. The Pineapple has been restored and is available for holiday lets through the Landmark Trust.

History

Detailed History

The following is from the Historic Environment Scotland Gardens and Designed Landscapes Inventory. For the most up-to-date Inventory entry, please visit the Historic Environment Scotland website:

http://portal.historic-scotland.gov.uk/hes/web/f?p=PORTAL:DESIGNATIONS:0

Reason for Inclusion

A remnant 19th century designed landscape containing The Pineapple, a unique and spectacular architectural folly, and other interesting built features.

Main Phases of Landscape Development

No information available.

Site History

Early records of Dunmore have not been readily accessible. Dunmore Tower marks the site of the remains of Elphinstone Castle, which had been incorporated into a romantic designed setting by 1810 when it was painted as surrounded by fine parkland trees. The 5th Earl of Dunmore succeeded in 1809 shortly after his marriage to Susan, daughter of the 9th Duke of Hamilton. He commissioned the building of a new house on a site to the north of Dunmore Tower. A new mansion designed by William Wilkins was built between 1820-22 in the tudor gothic style. It was drawn by J.P. Neale in 1826 in a view which shows it raised on a high terrace above the Park. Dunmore was recorded in 1845 as the chief Scottish seat of the 7th Earl of Dunmore, Charles Adolphus Murray, who was then aged four. He owned some 4,620 acres in Stirlingshire. By 1885 the OS Gazetteer records the mansion standing 'amid splendid gardens and beautifully wooded grounds, containing and commanding delightful views'. A photograph of 1917 shows a drive or Broad Walk lined with herbaceous borders all beautifully maintained.

Photographs of 1955 show the house ivy-clad, with the terrace surmounted by urns. A tennis court had taken the place of the cattle park in front of the house. By 1968 all was overgrown, and the estate was split up. The walled garden was purchased by the Earl and Countess of Perth and gifted in 1974 to the National Trust for Scotland. The mansion and park were purchased by the present owner and are farmed today. The house is now derelict and in the process of being demolished.

Associated People

Just one person associated to Dunmore

Contact
References

References

Contributors

  • Historic Scotland