Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Corby Castle 922

Introduction

Corby Castle has an early-18th century landscape garden on a wooded riverside site which occupies about 60 hectares.

Terrain

The site is on land which slopes south-westwards down to the River Eden, and the setting is predominantly rural and agricultural.

The following is from the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest

Pleasure grounds laid out by Thomas Howard during the period 1709-1739, which retain a range of contemporary structures. Additions to the 18th century parkland and pleasure grounds were made by Henry Howard and by Philip Howard.

DESCRIPTION

LOCATION, AREA, BOUNDARIES, LANDFORM, SETTING

Corby Castle is situated immediately south of the village of Great Corby and east of Wetheral. The 60 hectare site is on land which slopes south-westwards down to the River Eden, and the setting is predominantly rural and agricultural. The Eden forms the western and southern boundary of the site, and fencing along the edge of woodland the northern and north-eastern boundary. A by-road running between Cumwhitton and Warwick Bridge forms the eastern boundary, and the south-eastern boundary is a track running west, then south-west from the by-road to the banks of the Eden.

REFERENCES

W Hutchinson, History of the County of Cumberland (1794), pp 163-173

B Jones, Follies & Grottoes (1953), pp 213-215

Country Life, 115 (7 January 1954), pp 32-35; (14 January 1954), pp 92-95

Trans Cumberland Westmorland Archaeol Antiq Soc 79 (New Series), (1979), pp 99-102

Landscape Pieced and Plotted, Exhibition Catalogue, (Carlisle Museums & Art Galleries 1985)

The Oxford Companion to Gardens (1986), p 127

P Messenger, The Gardens of Corby Castle, (draft manuscript 1997)

Maps

G Smith, Map of Corby Park, 1752 (in Country Life 1954, p 93)

OS 6" to 1 mile: 1st edition surveyed 1860

OS 25" to 1 mile: 2nd edition published 1901

Archival items

T Howard, Manuscript description of Corby dated 1733, (Scottish Record Office: GD18/5093, quoted in TCWAAS 79 (New Series), (1979))

Catherine Howard, Diaries for 1800-1826, (Carlisle Record Office: DX/BRA/15/10, quoted in Messenger 1997)

Description written: July 1997

Edited: March 1999

Contact
Features
  • Great House (featured building)
  • Description: Corby castle was originally built during the 13th century with later additions. The current facade was built between 1812 to 1817. It is in the neo-classical style and built in red sandstone with a slate roof.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • River
  • Description: The River Eden forms the western and southern boundary of the site.
Visitor Access & Directions

Directions

South of Great Corby, 6 miles east of Carlisle on the A69
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Wetheral
Designations
  • The National Heritage List for England: Register of Parks and Gardens
  • Reference: GD1653
  • Grade: I
History

History

Corby Castle has an early-18th century landscape garden. The castle was originally created in the 13th century. It has had many additions but the current facade dates from 1812 to 1817.

Detailed History

The following is from the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest

HISTORIC DEVELOPMENT

The Manor of Corby was granted to Hubert de Vallibus by Henry II. It passed to Andrew de Harcla, Earl of Carlisle, and was given to Sir Richard Salkeld in 1336 by Edward III. Lord William Howard bought part of the estate in 1605 and the remainder in 1624 for his second son, Frances, and the estate remained in the family until its sale in 1994. It remains in use (1997) as a private residence.

Associated People
References

References