Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Caledon

Introduction

A bone house of 1747 and the site of a hermitage remain from a noted mid-18th-century garden. There are mid-19th-century terraces by William Sawrey Gilpin, a horseshoe lake, a pinetum, a monkey-puzzle avenue to the ruins of a monument and a deer park.

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Directions

One mile south of Caledon village via a minor road.

History

The rococo layout of the mid-18th century included the Bone House, which survives. The walled demesne was laid out round the house of 1779. John Sutherland worked on improvements in 1807. William Sawrey Gilpin added terraces in the mid-19th century. In the late-19th century the park contained wapiti and black bears.

Period

18th Century

Associated People
Features & Designations

Designations

  • Environment and Heritage Service of Northern Ireland Heritage Gardens Inventory

  • Reference: T008

Style

English Landscape Garden

Features

  • Garden Building
  • Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lake
  • Description: Horseshoe lake.
  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Tree Avenue
  • Description: Monkey-puzzle avenue to the ruins of a monument.
  • Icehouse
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Glasshouse
  • Garden House
  • Gate Lodge
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information

Type

Landscape Park

Principal Building

House

Period

18th Century

Survival

Extant

References

References