Bletchley Park 5635

Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England

Brief Description

The original landscape at Bletchley Park includes the lake. It dates from 1860 and shares similarities with Browne Willis' New Water Hall, built in 1707.The mansion at Bletchley Park combines Victorian Gothic and Tudor building design with Dutch Baroque.

History

Bletchley Park acquired its name in 1877 when it was bought by Samuel Lipscomb Seckham. Prior to that it had made up land at Manor of Eaton. Five years later, in 1882, Sir Herbert Samuel Leon purchased the Park and was responsible for expanding the old farmhouse into the present-day mansion.In 1938, after being bought by the head of MI6 and founder of the Government Code and Cypher School, Admiral Sir Hugh Sinclair, Bletchley Park was used by the Government for code-breaking purposes during World War II.

Visitor Facilities

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/Telephone: +44 (0) 1908 640404More information
Features

Style

  • Baroque
Lake
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/Telephone: +44 (0) 1908 640404

Directions

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/content/visit/findus.rhtm
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bletchley and
References

References