Bestwood Pumping Station 397

Nottingham, England, Nottinghamshire, Gedling

Pgds 20101210 194435 Bestwood1

Brief Description

This site has the two hectare grounds of a pumping station. The site was vacant and boarded up for several years. It has been converted into a restaurant and health club complex in the late-20th century.

History

Bestwood Pumping Station was created between 1871 to 1874. It was converted into a restaurant and health club in 1997 after years of vacancy.

Visitor Facilities

The site is now a restaurant and spa.

Terrain

The site is cut into the hillside which rises to the west, the top of the resultant steep bank along the western edge of the property being planted with specimen trees.

Detailed Description

The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):

www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list

The grounds of a pumping station, laid out in 1871.

DESCRIPTION

LOCATION, AREA, BOUNDARIES, LANDFORM, SETTING

The grounds of Bestwood Pumping Station cover c 2ha and are located on the west side of the Mansfield Road (A60), c 4km beyond the northern edge of the city of Nottingham. The site is surrounded on the north, east, and south sides by boundary walls (listed grade II) of coursed and squared rubble with steeply gabled coping. Between the east wall and the A60 is a broad ditch. The site is cut into the hillside which rises to the west, the top of the resultant steep bank along the western edge of the property being planted with specimen trees.

ENTRANCES AND APPROACHES

Lodges are situated at either end of the rectangular site on the A60: East Lodge (listed grade II) towards the south-east corner and West Lodge (listed grade II) towards the north. Both buildings date from 1871 and formed part of the original layout. West Lodge is accompanied by a set of cast-iron double gates set between ashlar piers and flanked by a pair of wicket gates. A second gateway in the boundary wall stands by East Lodge, and the drive running round the west of the main station building links the two.

PRINCIPAL BUILDING

The main station building (listed grade II, 1871) was probably designed by Thomas Hawksley. It stands in the centre of the site a little offset towards the western boundary and is surrounded by an area of hardstanding.

OTHER LAND

To the south of the station building is the cooling pond (listed grade II), constructed in 1871. It has an informal outline, with an island at its southern end. A broad walk runs round the pond, screened from the public road by a band of planting. This links with a path through the patch of woodland at the northern end of the site. A number of cast-iron gas lamps (listed grade II) light the site, two at the edge of the pond and others near East Lodge, West Lodge, and the boiler house. All were part of the original landscaping.

A late C20 chlorination plant has been built to the west of West Lodge.

REFERENCES

Country Life, no 21 (21 May 1992), pp 66/9; no 28 (9 July 1992), p 78

Description written: March 2000

Register Inspector: EMP

Edited: January 2002

Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The site is now a restaurant and spa.
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bestwood St.
History

Detailed History

The following is from the Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. For the most up-to-date Register entry, please visit the The National Heritage List for England (NHLE):

www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list

HISTORIC DEVELOPMENT

Founded by the Nottingham Waterworks Company in 1871, Bestwood Pumping Station is one of three late 19th-century stations which served Nottingham. The land was owned by the Duke of St Albans who had recently completed the building of nearby Bestwood Lodge, and the design of the station had to meet with his approval. The grounds surrounding Bestwood were therefore laid out to a careful design with the buildings and cooling ponds arranged for ornamental effect. No longer an active pumping station, the present owners (2000), Severn Trent Water, are considering a change of use for the site.

Contact
References

References