Stockdale Harrison was a well-known Leicester architect active in the late-Victorian and Edwardian periods.
His training included an initial period from 1862 articled to James Bird, Leicester, followed by a move to London where he worked with Mr George Somers Clarke (RIBA Journal 1914-15). In 1870 he returned to Leicester and began his private practice from Hotel Street. In 1876 the practice moved to 7, St Martins, Leicester (Leicester Trade Directories). In 1882 he became an Associate of the RIBA; in 1890 he became FRIBA. During 1890-1892 he became President of the Leicestershire and Rutland Society of Architects (RIBA Journal 1914-15).
Two of his sons joined the practice at 7, St Martins, Leicester. James Stockdale Harrison (1874-1952) was articled to his father from 1892 and became an assistant on passing his qualifying exams in 1898 (RIBA Journal 1914-15). He probably eventually worked as the firm's business manager. Leicester Trade Directories suggest that Shirley Harrison (1876-1961) joined his father's practice in 1904. From 1904 the practice was known as Stockdale Harrison and Sons.
Stockdale Harrison initially designed in the gothic revival style which he continued to use for churches. By the 1880s he developed his own version of the Domestic or Vernacular Revival style, designing houses (such as the lodge at Spinney Hill Park, 1888, and Hastings House, Stoughton Drive South, Leicester, 1902), and shops and offices as well as the Abbey Pumping Station (now a museum). His last work was St Guthlac's Church, South Knighton, Leicester, 1912. From 1904, many of the arts and crafts style works by the practice were designed by his son, Shirley Harrison who with H. H. Thompson also designed De Montfort Hall, 1913 and the Usher Hall, Edinburgh.
Stockdale Harrison died in 1914.