John Loughborough Pearson was born on 5 July 1817. He trained as an architect, being mainly responsible for churches and ecclesiastical buildings. He also designed a number of grand houses, including Treberfydd House.
He was elected A.R.A. in 1870, R.A in 1874, was a fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, and a fellow and member of the Council of the Royal Institute of British Architects.
His son, Frank Loughborough Pearson, was also an architect.
He died on 11 December 1897 and is buried in the Nave of Westminster Abbey, one of the many churches with which he was associated.