John Tremayne was baptised in Cornwall in 1780. He was a county MP for Corwall from 1806 to 1826. On his estate at Heligan, he continued to lay out the gardens to the plans of his father, Henry Tremayne. A long drive was created from the village of Pentewan. Many ornamental trees were planted and an area known as the Jungle was cleared and planted as a sub-tropical valley garden.