Henry Edmund Goodridge was an architect active in Scotland, but particularly in Somerset and Wiltshire, England, with a practice in Bath, in the 19th century.
Goodridge was born in 1797 the son of the successful Bath builder, James Goodridge and was first articled to John Lowder before setting up his own practice in Bath in the 1820s.
Although Goodridge's early works were mostly in the Greek Revival manner, he was also responsible for a number of Gothic churches and his later works are an ecclectic mix of Greek, Italian and Romanesque features, inspired, directly perhaps, by his travels abroad (France, just before 1818 and Italy in 1829).
Henry Edmund Goodridge's perhaps best known work is that of Lansdown Tower in Bath. It was built between 1824 and 1827 for William Beckford for whom Goodridge is also known to have remodelled interiors and designed furniture.
Goodridge died on 26 October 1864. He was buried in Bath in the Lansdown Cemetery, the entrance archway to which he had designed in an Romanesque style in 1848. He was survived by his son, Alfred Samuel Goodridge, who carried on his architectual practice.
Colvin, Howard, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, 3rd edition (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1995), pp. 415-416.