Henry William Ferdinand Bolckow, ironmaster, was born at Sulten, Mecklenburg, Germany. Bolckow became naturalized in England in 1841, and he and John Vaughan opened an iron and engineering works on the Tees, close to Middlesborough. By 1855 the partners had a dozen blast furnaces making iron on Teesside and the spectacular growth of the district's industry and population was increasing. A JP, and sometime deputy lieutenant for the North Riding of Yorkshire, Bolckow was also a knight of the order of the Wendish Crown. Bolckow died at Ramsgate, Kent, on 18 June 1878.