George Platt was an architect and builder active, particularly in Rotherham, Yorkshire, in the early- to mid-18th century. He was born into a Cheshire family of mason architects based at Lyme Park in 1700, the third son of Edmund Platt. From around 1730 he lived at the Red House, Woodlaithes and owned a quary in Thrybergh.
Platt is known as being a rebuilder of churches as well as a designer of country houses. His most notable work is perhaps Cusworth Hall, Yorkshire, built in the Palladian style for M.P. William Wrighton in 1740-1.
Platt died at Bristol Hotwells 9 November 1743. He was buried in Rotherham churchyard. He was survived by his wife and their children, including John, their eldest son, who later carried on the family business.
Colvin, Howard, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, 3rd edition (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1995), p. 759.Potts, J. D., Platt of Rotherham, Mason-Architects, 1700-1810 (Sheffield, 1959)